Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Women For Women International


"Sisterhood is not a destination, but a journey."~Maya Angelou


Visiting my sponsorship “sister” was one of my most profound experiences I had while in Rwanda – it brought me to a far-reaching meaning of “sisterhood”.












The long drive to my “sister’s” training center was quiet – we were all absorbing the early-morning life on the roadside. School children dressed in their kaki and blue - hundreds of them, grouped in fours and fives, one continuous group after another - hugged the edge of the roads. I was in wonder of this scene – here I was witnessing such a powerful presence of financial and spiritual support – the enormity of it all was inspiring. Once again “Giving” clarified itself to me – giving these hundreds of children a purpose in their day – to watch them travel a substantial distance to school so that they can learn and expand their worlds - to witness the children giving thanks for their daily meal – for some - their only meal - with such intense prayer was ever so powerful, and to know that each child is afforded a uniform and health care – this truly demonstrated to me the “greatness in giving”.

Once we went deeper into the village one could feel the energy of “sisterhood”. A crowd emerged as soon as our vehicles took on a slower pace – women carrying babies, with large colorful umbrellas in hand, made their way towards us - children came out from everywhere. Sadly I noticed that in this village one didn’t see many children dressed in the school kaki and blue. Once our van door opened, twenty or more women gathered around us – dressed in their traditional bright colors, it was much like a view through a high density kaleidoscope.




I stepped back to take it all in, the rest of our little team mingled their way among the crowd. What seemed like only a fraction of a few minutes, there stood in front of me my sponsor “sister” Claudine. Her head was bowed and her shoulders slightly hunched – she approached me shyly, as she lifted her eyes to mine an instantaneous smile widened across her face. My heart was pumping with eagerness – we greeted one another with a hug – there was such gentleness in the way she wrapped her arms around me and yet there was a soft firmness in her hold. At that moment, I felt that there was nothing more comforting than being in the arms of my “sister”.











As we continued to embrace each other the large group of women began to sing – many started performing their native Intore dance. “Sisterhood” indeed – I found myself taking to the rhythm of it all but my reservations held me back from joining in. The energy was electric.

As the entertainment concluded the women broke into their small groups of twenty. As we stepped into an uncustomary large hut, where a training session was in progress, we notice that they were in a deep discussion about women and children that are infected and affected by aides. As I stood by the doorway I glanced out across the property and there was another group of twenty sitting closely together – semi circled under the tree - in the same discussion. It was incredible to witness the work of Women For Women International - where they promote sisterhood and spiritual growth – where they challenge the women to find the courage to break down barriers and to serve each other and their community. The program strives to create a nurturing environment where everyone's differences is recognized and accepted and friendships are fostered among the women. It has been said that helping one another is part of the religion of sisterhood – this was so obvious. With deep fulfillment I too realized that I was a part of this “sisterhood” – it was this moment that I understood the importance of my role as a “sister”, not only financially and spiritually, but in friendship and support – the lettering writing to one’s “sister” is so significant – sharing about oneself or something that is meaningful to her, informing her of one’s experiences, hopes, and motivations or just simply sharing what is going on in one’s life – this is the connection that puts a smile on their faces and love in their heart. The energy of it all was contagious – the stability and content of this program that lent itself to the spirit of “sisterhood” was unlike what I’ve ever experienced.

Today, as I celebrate my sister-in-law Mary’s milestone birthday – I also celebrate “sisterhood”.

I now have a deeper and more expanded understanding of the significance of sisterhood – it being many things - a warm smile or a tender hug – a strong and lasting friendship – it is something that is treasured – that is sacred – it is knowing that there will always be someone there for you – it is dreams shared and milestones celebrated – it is counting on others and being counted on - it is genuine. It’s just not the action of one’s birth of mutual parents that makes one a sister – sisterhood is a condition that one has to work at and trust in.

Today I celebrate sisterhood with my daughter, my daughter-in-law, my granddaughters, my sister-in-laws, my aunts, my nieces, my cousins, my special and enduring friends, my mentor and friend – Esther Murphy and my many sisters of Rwanda – sisterhood is an eternal presence of one's heart and soul. Once again, my heart is full.


“A sister is a gift to the heart, a friend to the spirit, a golden thread to the meaning of life.” ~ Isadora James


On my journey to Rwanda I finished Zainab Salbi's book "Between Two Worlds" - an excellent read - Zainab is the Founder of Women For Women International. Together with her amazing community of staff they bring to sisterhood the golden thread to the meaning of life.

No comments: