Monday, September 24, 2007

Finding Esther's Father





It was early morning when we started our journey to Butare. I slept well last night but this morning my anxiousness set in and I felt somewhat exhausted even before we started our trip.

Little Esther couldn’t get close enough to me – her touch was constant. At one point she took paper and pen and wrote a sweet letter to her sister Glacier. Already the tears were stinging my eyes and the day had just begun.

After our two hour journey, one switchback after another, we finally arrived and was greeted by Violate - our sweet Violate.

We made our way to the orphanage to find Esther’s brother – only to find that he was housed at a different facility. We then went to see the headmaster of the orphanage, Brother Joel – we visited with him for a short time. We were told that Jules was visiting his father deep in the village. So on our way we went, again bouncing around on the deeply rutted roads. We arrived at Esther’s grandma’s village – made our way down the steep path. The father, sister and brother were not there. My heart stopped – thinking that our trip was not going to be successful. Finally we found a girl, Esther’s cousin, who told us that the father was living in another village and she would take us to him. Once again we were on the path up to the van – it was again a reminder why I wouldn’t be able to endure the hike to see the Gorillas. The elevation had my lungs working overtime. Finally after three hours of traveling on extremely rutted roads (believe me my back was feeling each and every rut).we found Esther’s father, brother and sister. Esther’s father was being housed by his God father. His house had been destroyed and the land was sold so he had no place to go once he was released from prison. He was so happy to see us and right away handed us two letters – on for Esther and one for Nicole and Rich. I believe he thought that the adoption had already taken place. Esther was so happy to finally meet him – my heart was pounding out of my chest and of course, my eyes were watering behind my sunglasses.

Children and women from the neighboring huts gathered around while we sat on a long bench and visited about the adoption process. We asked him if he still agreed to have Esther adopted. He did not hesitate in his decision. To observe the closeness of the four of them was overwhelming. Esther’s father, brother and sister were strong in their decision to give Esther this opportunity. They trust that she will one day come back to her country and become a leader.

After much conversing we decided to bring Esther’s father back with us to Kigali so that he could meet with the Minister of Gender and Family Promotion to assure her of his decision and commitment to Esther and Nicole and Rich. He went inside the hut and changed into the clothes that we had brought him when we visited him at the prison. The family piled into the van and we then took the brother, sister and the cousin home and took the father with us.
Esther sat close to him on the drive – they visited some and you could see their love for each other.
At one point he pulled out his prison release papers and showed them to us. They stated that he was innocent of any crimes. We were so sad as we realized he was in prison for 13 years without cause. He is a man of great faith and his faith never faltered while in prison- he said that his faith just grew stronger.

Robert, our university sponsor child, was our interpreter – once again he managed to carry the conversation and provide a deep understanding for both Esther’s father and us.

There are no words to explain the sight Esther and her father interacting - the kindness and love he extended to us was incredible. Here was a young man of 49 who had been in prison since he was in the prime of his life at the age of 36. He wasn’t bitter or angry – he felt very blessed that God loved him and given him his freedom. It continues to amaze us how the genocide continues to have its affects on the lives of the people in Rwanda.

Today is a day that will be embedded in our minds and hearts forever!

4 comments:

The Fairy Godfather said...

WOW! What can I say but amazing! I just knew that it was meant to be. I am so very proud to not only know you but to be related to you. WOW! Your entries never cease to amaze me.

Dave

Anonymous said...

I look forward to reading your posts everyday, even though I already know most everything from talking with Nicole, your way of putting everything in words is just so touching. Reading your letters makes me feel like we are walking right along with you.

Sabra

Anonymous said...

Joyce & Ron,

It has been awesome to travel this road with you via the blog. What a blessing to the whole family, the progress toward adoption made with Esther and her dad. I hope the rest of your trip is equally as impacting! Blessings!

Dave Crosswhite

Unknown said...

You are the 2 most amazing people I know. I sit and cry thru each entry and feel as if we are along on this wonderful journey with you.
My thoughts are with you always. Take care. Jackie