Monday, September 24, 2007

To dream .....

Early morning we all gathered at the Dream Center where we met hundreds of children – some were from the streets while others where from economically poor families - they were there for the meal. As we approached we saw them all lined up doing simple exercises to start their day. We visited the wood shop - a new program for the street boys, boys who were uneducated and are now too old to be accepted into high school or elementary. There they were sawing boards for a table with a hand saw – all their carpentry is basically done with hand tools. Bunny’s hiking group – an elderly group that averages 75 years of age, sent monies with Bunny for the Esther Home Program. Bunny thought it would be nice for the street boys to make book shelves for the Esther Home library – as we brought with us 71 pounds of books.

We then proceeded to the main building that housed hundreds of children – they were singing and praying – the most amazing experience. Bunny and myself befriended a small child that wanted to sit on our laps – she was about 3 years old – she was so amazed by Bunny’s short gray hair and my long blonde hair – her little fingers never left our heads.

The children performed for us singing and dancing. We then broke into small groups and sat under the trees to shade our self from the blazing sun. We shared with the children stories about America. They were curious about the ways of American children and politics – fortunately for me my questions weren’t too taxing – Ron’s group was a bit more challenging.

Before we left everyone’s hearts grew larger - Ron committed to sponsoring a young boy who escaped from a Refugee Camp – Bunny had found an older boy that was in need of glasses - she provided with funds for transportation, doctor fees and for glasses. He was so very thankful. Dan befriend the camp leader, John, exchanged email addresses, John is looking to continue his university studies but is lacking tuition and Dan’s big heart lead him to committing to finding sponsorship for John. Once again we were so impressed with the Africa New Life program and their focus and support of the poorest of the poorest. Many children had come to the Dream Center who had not had a meal in many days. The Dream Center provides a feeding program twice a week. As we drove away, once again our hearts were full!

After lunch we gathered up all our gifts and supplies for the Esther Home and proceeded to the New Life Church to meet the Esther Home Girls. We waited anxiously for their arrival. It is hard to describe the emotions that I felt – I was nervous, anxious, excited – my emotions were all over the place. Through the door came 12 beautiful young women – they arrived with some shyness – introduced themselves to us – my first thought was how were we going to remember all these names. They grouped together and listened intensely to Pastor Emma while he talked about the Esther Home program – Florence who is the Esther Home’s mentor and program leader kindly introduced each of us. One could see that the girls were a bit anxious and excited – I can’t even imagine what emotions that they felt. I was the first to visit with them – sharing with them my personal background, my visions for the Esther Home. I introduced to them my dear friend Cathy and her husband Steve – explaining that we partnership with them to make this program a reality. Ron then took center stage – his emotions were running high and he had paused for a moment to get control of them. (It was probably best that the girls get to know Ron’s character and how sentimental he is right from the get go.) He visited with them about how the Esther Home got its name (honoring our sweet Esther and representative of the biblical Esther) he continued to explain the meaning of each letter – Elevating Students Through Hope & Education in Rwanda. The girls were in awe of this. Ron went on to talk to them about the act of giving – asking them to give back to their community with their time, give back in sponsoring a child or women – giving back to themselves by saving a few dollars from their personal allowance each month – setting up a bank savings account. Ron held all the girls captive while he talked about the gift of giving and the opportunity for leadership and the success of the program for future Esther Home girls. Dan and Bunny spoke a few touching words – words that generated more tears and emotions. Bunny became the official Esther Home Grandmother.

After our visit at the church we then piled into two vans and made our way to the Esther Home. As each of the girls stepped shyly out of the van you could see their eyes grow wider and the smiles on their faces were spreading. As they stepped into the home their voices came alive and they chatted with excitement – it was nothing like they had dreamed of. They toured the home and they were excited to see the large bedrooms and all the bathrooms – one of the bathrooms housed a bath – this is when all the girls started chatting in high voices with excitement. We then gathered around – presented them with the Messenger Bags and school supplies, Esther Home t-shirts, greeting cards with our new logo on it (everyone loves the new logo!). All the girls immediately put on their t-shirts. Ron presented them with the Esther Home Sweat shirts – gifted from Dave Bartels – Dan’s Brother, Bunny’s son. Excitement was in the air. Photos were taken and each girl then shared her story while Ron video recorded.

We left the home – you could just feel the immense emotions and the spirit of each girl. A dream come true – prayers were answered and hope was alive.

Next stop was for pizza – of course Ron over ordered – go figure – but the appetites managed to consume most of them. We sat amongst the girls and visited – laughter and excitement was in the air. As I looked around at each of them wearing their sun-colored Esther Home t-shirt I felt my heart expand with such pride. Truly dreams do come true!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello ppl. I'm honestly into shoes and I had been looking for the sake of that exact model. The prices for the sneakers are all over 320 bucks on every site. But completely I bring about this site selling them someone is concerned half price. I exceptionally want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably order them. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

good day dudes. I'm really into shoes and I have been looking for that meticulous model. The prices due to the fact that the boots are around 320 bucks everwhere. But finally I set this location selling them for half price. I in reality love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy these. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

good afternoon people. I'm actually into shoes and I had been searching for the sake of that exact brand. The prices due to the fact that the velcros are approximately 300 pounds on every page. But finally I found this locate selling them for half price. I in reality like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order them. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

hi ppl. I'm actually into shoes and I had been searching as far as something that singular make. The prices for the boots are approximately 300 pounds on every page. But for all I base this locate selling them for the benefit of half price. I exceptionally love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy them. what can you tell me about these?