Thursday, November 15, 2007

Kageyo Refugee Camp





While they were unloading the bags of food the Esther Girls, Nicole, Robert and I made our way to the camp - walking cautiously through muddy roads. Nicole fell into a mud hole and I managed to get my shoes filled with mud. The sun was so intense at that time that Nicole’s clothes dried in no time. After a two mile walk under the scorching sun we arrived at the camp. We were warmly greeted by everyone – they were all so happy to once again see Maria.
Maria’s brother was so overwhelmed to see all of us and to once again hold his sister in his arms. It was an experience that will be embedded in my heart forever. As orphans and refugees from Tananzia, they have a bond like no other I’ve seen. The Esther girls made their selves at home in the small bedroom hut escaping the afternoon sun. Maria’s smile was wide and never ending. It filled my heart to have her Esther sisters experience this with her. After our introduction to the CARE International camp staff we made our way back to the feeding area.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just celebrated my birthday with Bunny

Dan said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you two, and the beautiful people of Rwanda. Keep up your amazing work! I have worn the Ester Home Sweatshirt and cap throughout New Zealand which has sparked many conversations, prayers and new followers of your blogs!
Safe travels,
Dan