Thursday, November 8, 2007

Our Journey Back To Rwanda

After a 24 hour flight Nicole and I were welcomed to Rwanda in the darkness of the evening and to a soft mist covering the tarmac. We gathered our 200 pounds of luggage and made our way to the welcome committee of four. It was once again good to inhale the Rwanda night air and feel the embraces of our new and dear friends.

The next morning we awoke to the bright Rwandan sun. Our agenda for the day was to be a light one – light it was but truly emotional. After a late morning meeting with our Esther Home partners - we adjusted our attitude and dug deep within ourselves for the strength to travel to the Minister of Gender and Family Promotions’ office. As we made our way to the office I could feel the presence of the undeniable strain and anxiety amongst the four of us. My heart was aching in knowing what Nicole was to encounter. Upon arrival, I stepped myself into protection mode and lead the way into the office and down the long stark corridor. The staff was surprised at our presence – the energy in the room was unwelcoming, distant and confrontational. They immediately ordered the paperwork to be officially sealed and processed. Nicole positioned herself opposite of the two secretaries’ desk while I pushed my way right next to them. We started the conversation with small talk and then without hesitation I lead the conversation to the adoption and expressed our disappointment and confusion in regards to their decision. Conversation always came back to the same thing – “it is unfortunate but it is the law”. The Law? What Law? Frustrated, I felt the need to conclude our conversation. We then requested a meeting once again with the minister – they informed us that they would have to get back to us. With dignity and pride, we gathered up the adoption response letter and excused ourselves.

In silence we walked shoulder to shoulder to the van – I felt that my heart would burst any moment. I dared not to look at my sweet sensitive caring daughter knowing that her dream had just been shattered. There were no words for the emotions and sadness that I was experiencing. Once we were settled in the van we read the response letter. Nicole slowly turned her face to the window – I saw her eyes well up with tears and then her emotions, in a quiet and gentle way, took hold of her. My heart was breaking and there were no words of comfort to offer. Once again a trip to the Minister’s office was devastating.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for writing about your experiences, even though they are so heartbreaking. I am praying for a breakthrough.

Anonymous said...

Nicole, I so sorry to read this news. My heart goes out to you and my prayers for a truely happier ending.... it aint over til it's over, and knowing you and your Mom it is not.

steve duea said...

Joyce & Nicloe - I'm glad your long trip went smoothly and safely. Sound like your meeting at the ministers office didn't go very well. Stay strong, you know I beleive good can come from bad things. You two are tough so never give up! You will make a difference on your trip to Rwanda. Stay safe and God be with you. Steve

Anonymous said...

Joyce, Your recent news of the visit to the minister's office just made my heart ache for you and Nicole. Tears are in my eyes as I pen this response. Knowing you two, you will persevere. The previous posting of your visits to the families; very interesting. the pictures are wonderful. Take care. Love you. Donna