Thursday, January 29, 2009

URWIBUTSO RWA JENOSIDE Memorial Genocide Site – Nyamata

Never Again!

As we approached this Genocide site I felt tightness in my chest. We waited outside the Catholic Church for a few minutes and I was overcome with sadness and disbelief. As we entered the church I felt a bit claustrophobic; not sure if I would be able to endure this.


10,000 people had gathered in this church seeking refuge from the killers. I cannot even put into words the horrific details that our guide shared with us. Our guide was a genocide survivor. She was 12 years old at the time of the mass murders in this church. She got buried under several bodies and was covered with blood and assumed dead. Once she realized that the killers had left, she then made her way out from under the bodies and ran to seek protection elsewhere. I am at loss for words.

1 comment:

babycat97 said...

this is so sad i cannot imagine the fear heartache and pain these people went through