Monday, February 2, 2009

Murambi Memorial Site


We ended our long weekend by visiting the Murambi Memorial Site, south of Butare; a secondary school that houses the remains of victims from the genocide. Lime had been poured over the bodies preserving the remains. Room after room sheltered the remains. My stomach churned as if I might vomit; I sought relief in tears; but the wells of my eyes were dry. Over 50,000 people were here at this site. This memorial site too sits on a hill top with a breathe taking view; on this day one could hear drums being played in a nearby village echoing throughout the valley. It left us once again with grief in our hearts and with no words to express our deep sense of sorrow.


To all our family and friends who are journeying with us, you are continuously with us in spirit and in love; thank you for all your love, prayers and good wishes.

2 comments:

Arlene said...

Dear Joyce, Thank you for all you are doing to bless the beautiful people of Rwanda. I so wish I was there with you but I enjoy your writings as if I were there myself. Of course your photos are as wonderful as ever and add so much to your story. May our Lord protect your comings and goings and bless you as you truly are a blessing to others. Arlene

Unknown said...

Dear Joyce -

It is truly unreal that this has occurred so recently and in this world. Thank you for reminding us what hate yields. "Being the Change" is exactly what needs to happen. Thank you for supporting and empowering the men and women of Rwanda to develop that change.

Big hugs and lotsa love all around.

-Eve